It is sometimes complicated to know how to maintain a living room in leather, fabric, or modern textiles. We give you all the essential advice to carry out this interview in the best conditions. By cleaning it regularly, you will preserve the shine and flexibility of this natural material.
If you are looking for carpet cleaning services in Milton, contact Premier Janitorial Services.
What are the maintenance procedures for a leather salon?
The leather living room is popular because it is a star material in the field of decoration. A leather living room is very resistant, acquires a patina over time, and gives the room character. But even if a leather sofa or other seats of this type offer resistance to time, wear, and aggression, to maintain its qualities for a long time, here are the right reflexes to adopt:
• To restore its shine to a leather lounge, you must first remove dust using a cloth or the soft brush of your vacuum cleaner to prevent dust from settling on its surface. Then you can clean your seats and your leather sofa using a sponge slightly moistened with soapy water, making circular movements. Note that glycerin soap and Marseille soap are recommended. Do not rinse, but dry with a cloth that you will dab on the various pieces of furniture in your leather living room.
• If you stained your leather living room sofa, you can still repair the damage. Before acting, it is best to seek advice from your store, which will provide you with a non-aggressive cleaning lotion. Before applying, always test on an inconspicuous area.
• Leather must be hydrated in order to maintain its shine and suppleness. Use a special leather moisturizer that you will apply with a soft cloth. After a scratch, it is possible to recover a tint and fix it permanently on the surface: your store will recommend a specialist to perform this type of intervention.
As you will have understood, it is not because leather is a robust and resistant material that it is necessary to do without regular maintenance and cleaning. The frequency of cleaning and maintenance for sofas and/or armchairs of this type is once a month for the lightest shades and once every two months for the darker leathers. This rhythm is more than enough to guarantee the flexibility and beauty of the material for years to come.
Clean a modern fabric and textile living room
A living room with fabric furniture is more fragile than a leather living room. In use, sofas, seats, and armchairs, therefore, run more risks. Fabric sofas and armchairs should be dusted twice a month, and full cleaning should be done once or twice a year.
Maintenance of classic fabric seats
To remove dust accumulating on the seats, avoid using a cloth to not leave dirty streaks in your path. Prefer to use the vacuum cleaner, which will certainly eliminate the dust accumulated over time on your furniture.
Before you tackle cleaning, you must take care to protect your decorative elements properly. Some fabrics and prints may bleed. To prevent this risk, start by cleaning with a well wrung-out sponge, and always from an inconspicuous area. Same thing if you use stain remover cleaning products, prefer the back of a cushion or the seat.
However, stop everything if you notice that the colors are bleeding, that the fabric is shrinking or pilling! Change the method to dry cleaning if your seat is removable, or trust someone more experienced in the matter, a cleaning professional, for example.
The last risk to take into account when cleaning a fabric salon is that of halos. There are not thirty-six solutions to prevent their occurrence: first, you need to clean the stain and then proceed to the entire seat. And this, even if your furniture has suffered only one stain since it is the only way to homogenize your work.
How to maintain a modern textile living room?
Widely used in furniture, microfibers are distinguished by their resistance and their wide variety. Depending on their compositions and their thicknesses, some can have a touch as soft as velvet, others a nubuck or vintage appearance:
• To maintain a sofa or a microfiber armchair, it must be vacuumed to avoid streaks and halos. The living room decorations, upholstery, and furniture legs must then be protected before using a sponge impregnated with the cleaner. Remember, of course, to check that the upholstery of the sofa is able to withstand the action of stain removers.
• On a microfiber backing, acting immediately after staining the fabric is ideal for limiting damage. In this case, a damp cloth may be sufficient to remove the dirt, and even more so if the seat has benefited from a stain-resistant treatment. Avoid directly rubbing a liquid stain; prefer to absorb it with a paper towel or a soft cloth. Prefer cold or lukewarm water since hot water tends to fix soiling on the fabric.
Several products such as ammonia, soda crystals, or even white vinegar can be used to precede the cleaning of modern textiles. You still have to choose the right dosage so as not to damage it.